Sunday, March 6, 2011

Big Papa

On Friday, March 4th my grandpa passed away. He had been very sick for several months and was 81 years old. He lived a good life and he loved and was loved very much. But even though he was sick and older, there is and will be such a void without him. He filled a room easily with his personality and was fun and funny to be around.

I feel lucky that my grandparents moved significantly closer to my parents' house about 10 years ago, they were just a short 15 minute drive away. As we enjoyed card games, dinners out and Wii tournaments, my grandpa was very easy and fun to talk to as he was well versed in everything from politics to American Idol.

I am so thankful that Layla really got to know her Big Papa. She loved him and he adored his great grandchildren. I hope that as Layla grows older she will have memories of her great grandpa.

The birth of our little boy will be only the second major event in my life that I will celebrate without my grandpa. I vividly remember him coming through my hospital door after Layla was born, cookie cake and baby toy in hand, saying, "How ya doing, Kristin, my love!!" He missed my college graduation because my grandma was very sick at the time, but he was at every other milestone with me as I worked my way from baby to adult. He was at many of the traditional events but it was also my grandparents' house that was our first stop after Ryan and I became engaged and he was also at my parents' house the day Layla walked for the first time.

My grandpa was also notorious for being extremely generous with his family. He was one of the major reasons I was able to stay home for the first year after having Layla. He heard Ryan and I were trying to cut bills from our budget and refusing to take no for an answer, he simply handed over his car to us. This allowed us to sell our SUV that had a car payment and make it through a year without having to make any monthly vehicle payments.

And so my sweet grandpa is no longer with us here on earth but I really believe he is enjoying my grandma once again. And perhaps it is even like Layla imagines.... "Big Papa fly with wings."

4 comments:

Annie said...

Morning -

What an absolute wonderful tribute to Big Papa....

You were very lucky to have him as long as you did & I know he adored you & your family.

He will be missed.....

Love,

Super AA

Anonymous said...

I remember your Grandpa from a very long time ago...he was always generous with his heart and your Grandma and Grandpa always had their door open for your dad's friends. By example, he taught you about the importance of family and support and commitment. The great memories will always be what you have to hold on to, and for that, you are very, very lucky. I'm sure your Grandma is very happy to be reunited with such a good man.

Anonymous said...

To my family--

Kristin what a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man.

He was our Pete. Full of life, full of love.

His presence will be missed but his spirit of life are in all of you.

Love , sa J

Stephanie G. said...

This was very sweet Kristin. He sounds like he was an amazing man.