Friday, June 5, 2009

Remember to pass on the Lifesavers

A year ago today, Ryan and I had one of our standard three doctor's appointments of the week. It was a year ago today that Layla's percentiles dropped into the "time to meet mommy and daddy" range. We were so ready to meet our little girl.



Right before leaving for the hospital

I thought it might be fun to put up some odds and ends that you most likely did not know from my delivery process....

The night I was induced Ryan ended up in the emergency room at the hospital. Before we left for the hospital, Ryan had been working on finishing up a wood project (building a trailer) for my grandpa and uncle. Anyway long story short, he ended up with a scratch on his cornea. Since I was "having a baby" they moved Ryan right along in the ER and the nurses were even nice enough to deliver his prescription right to my hospital room!

One last pregnant picture

The next day, I denied the epidural for quite some time because I was terrified it would run out when the pain got "really horrible." The solution?? The nurse gave me a button to hit whenever I needed a dose of the pain meds to ease my worries and the pain :-)

After my epidural was administered, Ryan and I watched Lost episodes for pretty much the whole day....I just hit my epidural button if I felt the slightest twinge!

I ate a lot of lifesavers...probably too many.

When it was time to push, I really regretted eating the lifesavers.....(lesson definitely learned, although they say getting sick during pushing actually helps the baby come faster, maybe the lifesavers were actually my secret to a fast pushing session!).


Layla arrived rather quickly after the pushing began and she scored a nine out of ten on the APGAR test. If I would have been able to move my legs, I would have fallen out of the bed from shock.

On the scale, Layla weighed in at 5lb 13oz, just a mere 4oz away from having to go through a series of "low birth weight" tests. I was pleasantly surprised when she wasn't whisked away and when she was instead placed in my arms.

In fact, Ryan and I got ourselves in a little trouble after Layla was born. Ryan ran out and told our families that Layla was born and said that he'd be right back to grab them to meet the little lady. Well, then we kind of forgot about everyone and just we enjoyed Ms. Layla for over an hour. Yes, we still haven't lived down the fact that we just left the family waiting anxiously in the lobby for such a long time.

A proud daddy showing off Layla's footprints and telling the family he'd be right back....oops :-)

And the funniest moment of the hospital?? Just hours (maybe 2 at the most) after Layla was born, the door to my room flew open and in comes Ryan with Layla in her bucket/cart all swaddled up (she had just had her first sponge bath). Ryan acted like it was no big thing just rolling this teeny baby around the hospital. Okay, maybe you had to be there to see it, but my sister and I thought it was so funny when that door flew open and in came Ryan and this little burrito.

Have a good June 5th everyone!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Morning -

What a beautiful way to approach Ms. Layla's first B'day. Doesn't it seem like just yesterday OR she has always been with you?

It only gets better......

Love,

Super AA
PS I only knew about dissing the family!