Monday, September 8, 2008

Doctor Day

Today was a big doctor day for Layla. This morning Layla had to get the second round of her two month shots. With the doctor's guidance, we decided to split up this first round of shots. She received two shots at her two month appointment and two more today at her three month appointment. Layla was still on the lower end for weight at the two month appointment so four shots was a lot going into her little body. Today she weighed in at 12 1/2 pounds. She continues to steadily gain weight and she looks like a very healthy three month old :-) Did you see her belly in the three month post? Too cute!

Later in the afternoon Layla and I visited Dr. Witte (due with her first baby any day now!) who took very good care of both of us throughout the pregnancy. I did not get to see her for my six week appointment because another doctor ended up delivering Layla so I saw him for my follow-up. Anyway, it was great to see Dr. Witte and thank her for everything she did during our pregnancy. Ryan and I are so grateful that she caught Layla's growth restriction early on and that she made sure I was closely monitored throughout my third trimester. We don't even like to think about what would have happened if the growth restriction was never caught and Layla was allowed to go full term.

Layla and Dr. Witte

I was thinking that I kept all of you up-to-date on the last trimester so carefully and then I never revealed what had caused all of the trouble. So I will inform you now :-) As the doctors had guessed, the placenta was indeed the problem. They sent it into the lab for testing and about a week later we found out the culprit was a small placenta. The small size was restricting Layla's growth and did not allow her to be nourished and grow like a typical baby would be able to do with a typical sized placenta.


As you know Layla is healthy and doing great now, but we are still seeing some slight side effects from the growth restriction in combination with her being three weeks early. She has not met most of the "By Month 3" milestones, but she does continue to make solid progress and we are perfectly happy with whatever rate she develops. It makes the milestones that much more exciting!

Now some pictures of our sweet, growing girl-














Hanging in her Bumbo









Playing with Dad





















Layla and her momma (I know I have some crazy hair going!)




Now you are all caught up...have a good one :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morning -

Glad to hear/read that her appointment went so well and how thoughtful of you to return to Dr. Witt and show off Ms. Layla.

She looks happy and healthy to this Super AA and I'm sure she will continue to thrive as time passes.

Love,

Super AA

The Abbott Family said...

What a cutie. I love the bath shot in the sink I think we all have one of those from when we were her size! I am glad all is good and that she is doing so well. Keep in touch and whenever your in town give us a call. Hopefully Aiden will have arrived by then!
-Lindsey