Saturday, May 7, 2011

Layla- Almost 3


I cannot believe we have rounded the corner on the final month before Layla turns three.  Where in the world did the time go?  Layla is looking more like a preschooler than a toddler these days.  This is only appropriate because next fall Layla will attend preschool two days a week.  How in the world can this already be here??

Here are some highlights of Layla at age 35 months:

Knock on wood.  Layla is potty-trained!  Knock on wood.  It has officially been two weeks and I think we are going to continue with this pattern, although I expect regression with the baby coming.  Layla had been very interested in the potty for quite some time but she needed to figure out how everything worked on her own and in her own time (She is SO me in this aspect).  Although Layla gives me all the credit (Mommy teaching me!), I literally did nothing more than provide the potty, undies and a prize box that has now been emptied and eliminated from our routine.  Just like everyone told me (including her doctor), when she was ready it would just happen.  She is still in diapers during nap and bedtime, and I imagine will be for quite some time, but everywhere else she seems good to go.  At first I was terrified of puddles in public, but I have calmed and am starting to trust her ability to let me know when she has to go.


Layla's big birthday and birthday party are coming up and Layla and I picked the book Pinkalicious for the theme. She is very excited for the party and has played a very active role as party planner (this child likes A LOT of favors for her guests!).  I have been feeling a bit guilty that the baby is due to come so close to her birthday and I really want to make sure she gets a special day.  Ryan and I always wanted kids that were three years a part...and we literally couldn't have gotten any closer to our wish with the baby's due date being exactly one week before Layla's 3rd birthday!  Anyway, I have almost everything ready for the big day and I am just hoping Ryan & I can pull it all off with a newborn in tow. 


We had a visit with Layla's neurologist in April.  All is still well and Layla was such a big girl at the appointment.  Doctor visits are very hard and draining for her but she tried so hard to keep it together and only didn't like when the blood pressure cuff became too tight on her arm.  Layla clicks well with the nurse (we have the same one each time) and neurologist which makes these examinations much easier.  We are hoping and praying that Layla will continue to have success with her current medication and that she continues to make solid progress with her development. 


Layla has been loving the outside.  She enjoys riding her trike and toting her babies around in whatever she can find.  She has been helping me feed the birds and loves the "yellow ones" (finches) almost as much as I do.  Layla loves going for walks and finding ducks, geese and birds and always wonders where the mommies and daddies are.


Speaking of the outside, our seed to plant project was pretty much a failure.  The seedlings started off really strong but I think I may have pared them down too early.  In addition to paring them down a tad early, a certain orange cat made it his mission to eat as many of the plants as possible whenever he could gain access to them.  It was difficult to find a sunny spot that was also safe from Blue.  I ended up buying a few plants and then Ryan and Layla planted leftover seeds from the original planting for the rest of the garden.



Layla's new favorite activity is sidewalk chalk.  She has started writing some letters and likes to practice on the driveway.  We have quite a few H's lining our driveway right now.  Layla likes to show Howie since this is "his letter" but Howie just isn't too interested :)  Layla also likes to trace letters that I have written for her.  I have found this be the perfect "keep busy in a restaurant" activity.

I am excited and nervous to see how Layla does as our family grows from three to four.  I am looking forward to seeing Layla in the big sister role but also sad that she will no longer be "my baby."  But then I think maybe it will be good for Layla to spread her wings a bit without me hovering too closely over!  Happy almost 3 to Layla!!

3 comments:

Annie said...

Morning -

What a lovely post Kristin.

She is looking very much like a preschooler to this SAA :)

Here's hoping the plants are safe from the "wild" & will grow successfully.....

Love,

Super AA

Anonymous said...

Hello my family--

Yes she is now a big girl who goes potty! Yeah Rah!!! very proud of you and Layla.

Blue is our organic kitty. Good fiber! Don't let him outside.

love to all, J

Annie said...

Morning (again),

Glad you were able to retrieve this post.....I also hope that your plants will now be safe from the " wild " side of life :)

Love,

Super AA